(as at November 2014)
Bacta is a not-for-profit membership organisation which businesses request to join and therefore offer their contact details to be used by the Association for communication purposes.
Although our members are businesses, not individuals, we do collect and use personal information relating to individuals as part of our activities. This is generally in order to manage our membership and to carry out our wider work representing the interests of businesses in the UK.
This notice applies across all websites that we own and operate and all services we provide, including our online and services products, and any other apps or services we may offer (for example, events or training.
When we say ‘personal data’ we mean identifiable information about you, eg your name, email, address, telephone number, bank account details, payment information etc.
We may need to update this notice from time to time. Where a change is significant, we’ll make sure we let you know – usually by sending you an email.
Information we may collect about you
- Use of your information
- Contacting you
- Sharing your information
- Our legal basis for collecting, holding and using your information
- Security and storage of your information
- Your rights
1. Information we may collect about you
Information you give to us. You may give us information about you by filling in a form, contacting us by phone or e-mail or in person. This includes information you provide if you complete a membership form on behalf of a business either directly, or via a third party.
The information you give us depends on the reason for you contacting us, but may include your name, job title, address, date of birth, e-mail address and phone number, financial and debit card information, personal identification documents, etc
Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer by websites that you visit. They are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information to the owners of the site.
These cookies are stored only in the browser and are not accessed by or shared with any other service or third party.
2. Use of your information
We need to obtain, store and use information about you so that you can enjoy and benefit from our services. We may use information we hold about you in the following ways:
- to confirm your identity
- to administer the membership of your company/organisation
- to let you know about other relevant services, both ours and those of other parties whose products and services we have agreed should be made available to you
- to update and correct our membership records
- to carry out statistical and market analyses, including benchmarking exercises, to enable us to understand you better and improve our services
- to develop, test and improve our systems
- to notify you about changes to our services
- to ensure the content of our website is presented in the most effective manner for you
- to administer our website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes
- to improve our website to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you
3. Contacting you
An important part of our work is communicating with our membership, telling them about our activities and how we are supporting their interests, and seeking their views on current issues. To do so, we use personal information to keep in touch with individuals within our member organisations, as well as partners and other individuals.
We will use the contact information you have given us to send you important information. This may be by post, email, text message or telephone.
We may also use the information we hold about you in order to provide you with information about other products or services we feel may interest you.
Sharing your information
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Event venues, attendees, speakers, sponsors and organisers contracted by bacta
- Online service providers such as event booking systems, marketing systems and survey tools
4. Our legal basis for collecting, holding and using your information
Data protection law sets the lawful legal bases (or ‘conditions’) which allow us to collect, hold and use your personal information. For bacta, these are:
- For the purposes of our own legitimate interests. We believe that we have a legitimate interest in being able to provide our services to our member organisations and to represent our members and the interests of businesses in the UK. As set out in this notice, this sometimes requires us to collect and use personal information about individuals. We only use this legal basis where these interests are not overridden by your interests and fundamental rights or and freedoms.
- Where we have entered into a contract with you. In these circumstances, we may need to process your personal information in order to fulfil the contract. For example, this may apply if you book to attend one of our events.
- Where we are under a legal obligation to process personal information. For instance, we are required to collect certain information in accordance with our obligations under equalities legislation.
5. Security and storage of your personal information
We will generally keep personal information about you no longer than is needed for us to carry out the functions described above.
We will keep personal information held as part of our membership records for the duration of that organisation’s membership. At the end of the membership, we will delete the majority of records and only retain the minimum information necessary to deal with any future issues.
6. Your rights
You have the right to request from us access to your own personal information. This is sometimes known as a ‘subject access request’.
You also have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for direct marketing purposes.
You can exercise this right by contacting email@example.com
From 25 May 2018, you will have additional rights to request from us:
- That any inaccurate information we hold about you is corrected
- That your information is deleted
- That we stop using your personal information for certain purposes
- That your information is provided to you in a portable format
- That decisions about you are not made by wholly automated means
If you contact us about your personal information, we will respond to your request within a reasonable time and at minimal cost or no cost to you in accordance with applicable laws. We request that complaints be made in writing. We will attempt to confirm, as appropriate and necessary, with you your understanding of the complaint and what you expect as an outcome. We will let you know whether we will conduct an investigation, the contact details of the person investigating, and the estimated completion date. After we have completed our enquiries we will contact you to advise you of the outcome and invite your response to our conclusions. If we receive a response from you, we will take this into consideration and let you know if we have changed our view.
To reset your password, Please contact Bacta via email HERE or at firstname.lastname@example.org