8th June 2020
- Some positive news from Scotland. The Scottish Government has announced today that eligibility has been extended to companies occupying multiple premises with a cumulative value of more than £51,000. To date, the cumulative rateable value of all such properties held was capped at £51,000, but from 8 June, this is increased to £500,000. It has also been confirmed that the Small Business Grant and Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Grant schemes will close for new applications on 10 July.
- Bacta wil shortly be making its submission to the DCMS Select Committee Inquiry into the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on sectors covered by the Department. We have made a full and detailed submission including all our asks of Government for ongoing support for our sector.
- One of our requests has been for the temporary suspension of the 80/20 Rule in order to promote social distancing in AGCs. We had numerous conversations last week with Gambling Commission CEO, Neil McArthur and with DCMS officials. Whilst it would have been preferable to have a clear line of sight on this before AGCs reopen in England on June 15th, it is clear the issue is being looked at actively.
- Government has established five high level working groups to look at how to get the economy up and running post Covid. Media reports over the weekend also suggested that there is a group of big hitting Ministers focusing on the tourism/hospitality sector – the Summer Six. Talk was of getting businesses open before the end of June, including allowing pub beer gardens to open and reducing social distancing to one metre.
- We have still not received guidance on the position of High Street bingo premies and whether they can open on June 15th. I will let you know the position just as soon as I am able.
Don’t forget that tomorrow at 11.00, bacta is hosting a webinar on Risk Assessments in advance of members re-opening their businesses. It is relevant to all members, not just AGC operators. If you haven’t registered yet please click here to do so.
Stay safe and kind regards